Sunday, July 05, 2020

TfL And Local Councils Allowing Dangerous Hazards To Block Pavement Access To Disabled Groups


Katie Pennick On Twitter Said 

I’m shielding and today left my house for only the 2nd time in 110 days.

And what awaited me on my trip outside? 
A dockless bike parked in the middle of a pavement, blocking the pedestrian crossing.

This is why I fear the accessibility of the “new normal” + future streetscapes.

For those who don’t know why this is a pain for disabled people: 
- Visually impaired folks have no warning the bike will be there and bump into it
- Guide dogs are not trained to go around and will often just stop
- Wheelchair users with chairs larger than mine get stuck.


In an era of social distancing, additional street clutter like this makes it even harder for me to maintain a safe distance from others. 


With the introduction of e-scooters I fear this problem will snowball.

Samantha Renke
Replying To Katie Pennick 


This was me earlier this year. The council didn’t want to take responsibility and über emailed me but with no follow up email to say what they will be putting in place. This is breach of the equality act yet it seems to be getting worse.



No comments: