Wednesday, January 20, 2021

Kind taxi driver offers to take elderly woman to vaccine appointment and back for free

Meg Ogwin, 73, from Merseyside, was left stunned after kindhearted taxi driver Mick Ball brought her to and from her vaccination appointment




A woman was left stunned after a kind taxi driver took her to have her Covid vaccine waited for her, took her home, then said she didn’t have to pay.


Meg Ogwin, from Mossley Hill, had booked Micks Taxi Liverpool to take her to her Coronavirus vaccination appointment yesterday.  


The Liverpool Echo reported that the 73-year-old opted for a taxi as she has been shielding from the virus and hasn't driven much recently.


Taxi driver Mick Ball refused to take any money from her after driving her to and from her appointment, but she insisted on giving him enough to cover the cost of his petrol.


She told the Echo: "When we got back home he said 'I don't want the money'.



"I didn't expect that. I understand there are people that are in a position that can't afford to pay for a taxi but I was fully prepared to pay full price.

"I insisted so he said 'just give me a fiver then.'


"I said I want to pay full fare but he refused to take any more so I made him take a £5 each way to cover his diesel. But he really didn’t want to take it.”


"It made me feel really good that somebody whose work must have dried up would do that. He must be struggling himself.


"He seems like a genuinely nice man. I think he deserves to get some recognition."


Mick, 44, told the Echo he had posted on his Facebook page offering to take elderly people to have their vaccine who may otherwise struggle to get there.


Mick said: "My mum and dad have been shielding since March, they're in their 80s.



"Because I know what that's like that's why I put that post up on my taxi page saying I would take anyone that was vulnerable to get their vaccine.


"There's elderly people that can't manage to do it on their own, especially when they're having to travel across the city and to various places to get it.


"I'm not doing anything else. We rely on weekends - on pub work and school contracts. There's no work especially on hackneys.


"I have a plastic screen up and I disinfect the cab after every passenger, I've been doing that since March. It's to keep myself safe and to keep my passengers safe." 

No comments: